There are different types of acne. Among other things, a type that can be a symptom of hormonal imbalance in the body.
More about what is what, why acne occurs and what we can do about it.
Acne can be due to several different things. For example, it can occur as a symptom of stress (and so do eczema and herpes). The stress hormone cortisol causes the skin’s sebaceous glands to produce extra fat, which can lead to pimples or acne breakouts. But acne can also be of another hormonal type.
What is usually called “hormonal acne” is often due to estrogen dominance in the body.
- This means that estrogen is wrong in relation to progesterone. An estrogen dominance can be due to both high and low estrogen because the key is the ratio of estrogen to progesterone, so you need to test your values via a saliva test, a so-called labrixt test, to find out how estrogen and progesterone are and their relationship.
One of many symptoms of imbalance
This type of acne can also be an indication that there is hormonal imbalance, which often shows up as other hormonal disorders.
- It is very common for hormonal acne to appear as one of many symptoms of hormonal imbalance. Other symptoms may include PMS, PCOS, infertility or difficulty getting pregnant, fatigue, menopause and irregular menstruation. Often, hormonal acne is exacerbated by birth control, although the symptoms may be temporarily milder when using, for example, mini pills.
- By extension, even greater imbalances occur during medication and hormone therapy, such as with jasmine and mini pills, so it is best to correct the problem properly instead of depressing the symptoms.
Note where the acne is sitting
Hormonal acne usually occurs later in life.
- And it can be aggravated in connection with ovulation or menstruation and you see the acne especially on the cheekbones and jaw line.
It may be interesting to note where the acne is located.
- Then you can get a clue as to what type of acne it is. The symptom picture is very important to go through with a good nutrition therapist because you can see connections with both how the acne is placed and other symptoms that show if the problem is due to hormonal disorders or for example intestinal disorders, Zarah Öberg says.
How To get rid of Acne
In hormonal acne, you need to balance your hormones, balance the cortisol value around the clock and create the right balance between estrogen and progesterone.
- This is most easily done by taking a so-called labrixt test, a saliva test that measures the hormones and thus shows whether the problem is due to high or low estrogen and how low progesterone and cortisol are.
However, if the acne is due to poor intestine, you need to correct the intestinal flora and heal the intestine. Among other things through lactic acid bacteria – and good nutrition.
- Anti-inflammatory diet is always good and important, as most of the population suffers from low-grade inflammation. It is also important to eat healthy and clean food, preferably organic. To avoid sugar and sweeteners and eat good fats. The balance between omega-3 and omega-6 is important and it is advisable to supplement with a good probiotic.
Few nutritional deficiencies
It is also good to take supplements of certain vitamins and minerals.
- Vitamins and minerals that can be added are B5, which is a good support for hormonal acne, and so is giant night light oil and omega-3. It is also good to add zinc to therapeutic doses if estrogen is low, and to supplement with bioidentical progesterone cream.
If estrogen is low, it is also advantageous to use phytoestrogen-rich supplements, such as, for example, cane jelly.
- It is important to take help to get a good dosage and a personalized plan because too low doses can make it not as much improvement as desired. It is also important to take proper tests as you need to know if, for example, estrogen is high or low. If you treat with beetroot jelly even though the value is already high, the imbalance becomes even greater. Tests are thus A and O to get good help.
Reasons for non-hormonal acne
The reasons for developing acne are, as noted, many.
If you have a parent with psoriasis and have had major problems with acne yourself, it may be right to believe that acne is to some extent hereditary.
- Acne that is not due to hormonal imbalance may be due to poor and leaky gut. For example, it may have links to psoriasis, acne, eczema and more.
But such problems can also be due to nutritional deficiencies.
Zinc deficiency – common with most skin problems
As for the mineral zinc, it has many important functions in our body, not least for the skin.
The most common, and clearest, symptom of, for example, zinc deficiency is skin problems. The reason for this is that 20 percent of the body’s zinc is found in the skin, which responds quickly to deficiency.
- The most common skin changes in zinc deficiency include eczema, acne, skin cracks, bumps, dandruff, rosacea and psoriasis.
At the same time, zinc deficiency is one of our most common mineral deficiencies.
- This is mainly because zinc is one of the substances that the intestine has the most difficulty absorbing, which is further aggravated by, for example, gluten intolerance and intestinal diseases.
A good gut flora of great importance
The above-mentioned condition – that is, skin disorders such as rosacea, dandruff, eczema and psoriasis, however, they too can do something about.
- These symptoms require correction of the intestinal flora and one should change one’s diet and lifestyle so that the intestine can heal and regain good intestinal flora. If it is suspected that the skin disorders are due to the intestine, it is good to do a microbiome test that shows the intestinal flora and its imbalances.
Since the skin is the body’s largest organ, it may not be so strange that this is where it first appears when the body is in imbalance. For those who want to overcome skin problems it is important to have a good balance in the stomach.
- In addition, your body does not absorb vitamins as it should if you have too much bacterial flora.
Here a tip might be to take supplements with probiotic bacteria and, or digestive enzymes.
Copper vs. zinc – and its link to estrogen dominance
It is common for estrogen dominance to depend on high copper. High copper may be due to its own well with copper-rich water, or that the decomposition of copper in the liver is not optimal. It may also be due to large intakes of copper-rich food.
- High copper is mainly treated with altered diet and therapeutic doses of zinc.
- Zinc is antagonist to copper and thus lowers high copper – and vice versa. That trait is why zinc is so successful in the treatment of hormonal acne.
For this reason, however, it is also important to remember that a lot of zinc can produce a copper deficit.
- Copper is important for the heart, and it is not good to have low values either. However, it is always advisable to do a hair mineral analysis before measuring high zinc intake, which measures minerals and heavy metals. So that you know exactly which minerals are high and low respectively.
- You should not give therapeutic doses of minerals without first knowing if it is needed.
Stress affects skin and hormones
Stress negatively affects our body in many ways. Our skin is also affected. And our hormones. For hormonal acne, it is therefore extremely important to review your lifestyle.
- It is important to stress down and prioritize balance in life with good sleep and rest. All forms of stress affect the body’s sex hormones as progesterone and DHEA are precursors to both stress hormone, cortisol and sex hormones. Stress thus contributes to hormone imbalance and causes sex hormones to be low.
If you have been exposed to long-term stress, it may also be appropriate to measure the stress hormone cortisol. And also to supplement with other, more stress-specific supplements.
- For example, ashwaganda – for example the supplement KSM66 – as well as adrenal support and vitamin C, depending on whether cortisol is high or low.
However, it is difficult to give purely general advice on dosages.
- Dosages can not be said until you know how the person eats and lives and how all the values look, when the best is always to make a personalized plan.